Thursday, January 04, 2007


Album : The Lost Grooves (Rare and Previously Unreleased Slices of Funk from the Vaults of Blue Note)

After a long long while (excuse me) this is the 2nd installment of the joys of finding gems in 2nd hand CD's and vinyl shops. The Album 'The Lost Grooves' (Rare and ....) is a compilation of unreleased music from Blue Note Label, circa 1967-68. This is the period of what I called "Hammond Organ" based music, wherein the Hammond Organ played a major part in most jazz and rock composition. I bought this CD, together with some other "gems" (about 15 pcs I think, he he he) and literally have to store them 'illegally' in our luggage to avoid any untoward incident which might happen to me if my wife 'accidentally' discovers this horde.

Evidently, upon hearing the tunes of this CD, today's generation will be quite familliar with the songs and might even mistake it for some being 'new' and probably MTV inspired. Of course this is entirely wrong. It just shows how much of today's music is either borrowed or influenced by the past.

The opening number, "Hold on I Coming' interpreted by guitarist Rueben Wilson definitely sets the funky groove of the entire CD. I particularly liked the interplay between the toned down guitar and the hammond organ which weaves every now and then to the composition. Familiar names such as Lou Donaldson and Stanley Turentine also contributes this compilation. I just wonder why the guys at Blue Note did not released this CD earlier. They probably had the magic crystal ball that told them to 'keep' this gem until the right time comes, when everything 'old' becomes 'new' again. Nothing in this compilation can be thrown away. At the very least it should put a smile on your face. At UK 4.00 (roughly less than Php 400.) this is a steal. Current price at Amazon.com is around US $11.00

Track Listing

1. Hold on I'm Coming
2. It's Your Thing
3. The Scorpio
4. Hey Western Union Man
5. Brother Soul
6. Village Lee
7. Spooky (This is a different 'Spooky')
8. Dancin is an Easy Groove
9. You want me to Stop Lovin You.
 
posted by Penguin Gallery-BARFLY at 11:51 PM, |

0 Comments: